Now Playing
103.3 The Eagle
Last Song Played
Tulsa's ONLY Classic Rock
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
103.3 The Eagle
Last Song Played
Tulsa's ONLY Classic Rock

business

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Lance Armstrong's former Austin home on the market for $7.5 million

Want to live in Lance Armstrong’s old house?

>> See a video slideshow of the home here

The cyclist’s former home in west Austin, Texas, is on the market for $7.5 million. According to CultureMap, it was originally listed two years ago for $8.25 million.

>> On Austin360.com: See a photo gallery of the home

The six-bedroom, 7.5-bathroom home across the street from Pease Park was built in 1924 and has since been remodeled. The 8,158-square-foot home has a pool with a fountain, a pool house with a full bathroom and kitchenette and a covered outdoor living area.

>> Read more trending news 

Read more here.

Blue Bell reveals new ice cream flavor

Blue Bell’s newest limited edition flavor combines the best of several worlds into one, but the best news might be that you can order it and have it shipped anywhere in the U.S.

>> Read more trending news 

At first glance, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough might seem to be targeting the cookie dough ice cream fans, but upon closer inspection, you’ll see that it’s the people who love peanut butter cookies and chocolate — aka people who also love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups — who will be seeking out this flavor.

>> On Austin360.com: With no Blue Bell in sight, putting other ice creams to the test

The Brenham-based ice creamery often releases limited edition flavors, which sometimes sell out quickly. This flavor is available in 1/2 gallon and pint sizes, and it’s one of dozens of flavors you can order ($129 for four 1/2 gallons) to have shipped anywhere in the U.S. You can’t place the order online, but you can call 979-836-7977 to find out more.

>> On Austin360.com: How to make a blueberry muffin ice cream

Facebook privacy practices under investigation, FTC confirms

The Federal Trade Commission confirmed Monday that it is investigating Facebook’s privacy practices amid reports that the social media giant inappropriately shared user data with consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica.

>> Read more trending news

“The FTC takes very seriously recent press reports raising substantial concerns about the privacy practices of Facebook,” Tom Pahl, acting director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said Monday in a statement. “Today, the FTC is confirming that it has an open non-public investigation into these practices.”

>> Related: Here's how to download a copy of the data Facebook keeps on you

Facebook has faced criticism since reports surfaced that Cambridge Analytica got access to the data of about 50 million Facebook users inappropriately.

Citing unidentified sources, Bloomberg News reported last week that the FTC was investigating whether Facebook violated the terms of a consent decree it reached with the FTC in 2011 over privacy concerns.

>> Related: BBB warns about popular Facebook quiz

The decree required the company to “notify users and receive explicit permission before sharing personal data beyond their specified privacy settings,” CNBC reported. Officials declined to confirm the report.

If found in violation of the decree, Facebook could face a fine of $40,000 per violation, CNBC reported.

>> Related: You don’t have to #DeleteFacebook: 7 tips to lock down your privacy without leaving

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement last week that Cambridge Analytica got data gathered from a personality quiz app created in 2013 by Cambridge University researcher Aleksandr Kogan. The app, which was installed by about 300,000 people, asked users to share their data as well as the data of their friends, Zuckerberg said.

>> Related: Facebook breach: Want to leave the social media giant? Here’s how

“Given the way our platform worked at the time, this meant Kogan was able to access tens of millions of their friends’ data,” Zuckerberg said.

He added that Facebook implemented measures in 2014 to prevent similar situations and better protect user privacy.

Remington, America's oldest gun maker, files for bankruptcy protection

The Remington Outdoor Company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection over the weekend, one month after company officials announced that a deal had been reached with the gun maker’s creditors, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

The 202-year-old company, one of America’s largest firearm and ammunition manufacturers, filed paperwork in Delaware bankruptcy court late Sunday estimating Remington’s liabilities to be between $100 million and $500 million, according to Bloomberg News and The Associated Press. Officials with Remington announced last month that the company had negotiated an agreement with its lenders to reduce its debt by about $700 million and add about $145 million in new capital.

>> Related: Gun manufacturer Remington to file for bankruptcy

Remington faced years of slumping sales in the wake of the 2012 shooting that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead at Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooter used a Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle, a gun made by Remington, according to CNN Money.

The company was cleared of any wrongdoing in the attack, but investors repulsed by the massacre distanced themselves from the company’s owner, investment firm Cerberus Capital Management.

Remington’s bankruptcy filing came after hundreds of thousands of people took the streets nationwide to call for raising the minimum age for gun purchases and other measures meant to make it more difficult to get firearms during Saturday’s “March for Our Lives” demonstrations.

>> Related: March for Our Lives: Emma Gonzalez stands in silence for Parkland victims, stuns crowd

A bankruptcy filing under Chapter 11 allows a company to reorganize and stay in business as it works to repay debtors.

Officials with Remington said in a news release last month that the company will continue to operate as normal as the restructuring process gets underway.

“Importantly, the fundamentals of our core business remain strong,” Remington CEO Anthony Acitelli said in a statement. “We have an outstanding collection of brands and products, the unqualified support of a vibrant community across the industry and a deep and powerful culture. We will emerge from this process with a deleveraged balance sheet and ample liquidity, positioning Remington to compete more aggressively and to seize future growth opportunities.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Smoke alarm recall: 500,000 Kidde detectors might not alert users to fire

Kidde recalled about 500,000 dual-sensor smoke alarms Wednesday because they pose a risk of people not being alerted to a fire in their home.

>> Nearly 600,000 pacifiers, teether holders recalled amid concerns about choking

A yellow cap left on during the manufacturing process can cover one of the two smoke sensors and compromise the smoke alarm’s ability to detect smoke.

About 452,000 devices were sold in the United States, in addition to 40,000 sold in Canada.

>> Johnsonville recalls 109K pounds of sausage after reports of plastic contamination

This recall involves models PI2010 and PI9010 of Kidde dual-sensor (photoelectric and ionization) smoke alarms. “KIDDE” is printed on the front center of the smoke alarm. The model number and date code are printed on the back of the alarm.

The recall includes:

Model: PI9010 (DC/battery powered)Date Code: September 10, 2016 through October 13, 2017

Model: PI2010 (AC/hardwired)Date Code: September 10, 2016 through October 13, 2017

>> 1.4 million Ford vehicles recalled after reports that steering wheel can come loose

People should remove the alarm from their wall or ceiling and look through the opening on the side of the alarm for a yellow cap. People should not attempt to take apart the alarm, open the casing, or otherwise remove the yellow cap themselves. If a yellow cap is present, people should immediately contact Kidde to receive instructions and request a free replacement smoke alarm. They should remove and discard the recalled smoke alarm only after they receive and install the replacement alarm. If no yellow cap is present, people should reinstall the smoke alarm and no further action is needed.

>> Read more trending news 

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has received one report of the yellow protective cap being present on a smoke alarm before it was installed in a home. No reports of incidents or injuries as a result of a yellow cap being present have been reported.

>> On Boston25News.com: Boston's bravest: Facing a hidden killer

The affected smoke alarms were sold at Home Depot, Walmart and other department, home and hardware stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com, ShopKidde.com and other websites from September 2016 through January 2018 for between $20 and $40.

Read more here.

Rita's Italian Ice offering free treats on first day of spring

As the country says farewell to a long, harsh winter for many, it's time to celebrate springtime with a free treat.

>> Read more trending news 

Rita's Italian Ice is once again giving away a free Italian ice on March 20 from noon to 9 p.m.

The promotion has grown in popularity over the years, with almost 1 million Italian ice cups given away in a nine-hour period in 2017, according to Rita's.

For those who love cool treats, Dairy Queen will mark the first day of spring with a free cone promotion.

Photos: Inside $550K Lion Gate Estate, whimsical home with carpeted ceilings, vintage cars

In the market for a whimsical $550,000 home with carpeted ceilings, vintage cars and statues lurking around every corner? No? You'll still want to check out the now-viral listing for Detroit's Lion Gate Estate. Trust us.

Claire's mall jewelry chain files for bankruptcy

Claire’s Stores Inc., a fashion accessories chain, has filed for bankruptcy.

>> Read more trending news 

The retailer and its affiliates have filed for bankruptcy in United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. The move could help with Claire’s $2 billion debt load. “Claire’s is growing, not shrinking, its business. The company expects its concessions business to grow by more than 4,000 stores in 2018,” the company said in a statement.

>> On DaytonDailyNews.com: Toys ‘R’ Us reportedly preparing to close all stores

Apollo paid more than $3 billion to acquire Claire’s from Rowland Schaefer, and began expanding the business, adding about 350 stores from 2010 to 2013. Claire’s expects to reduce debt by about $1.9 billion, after reaching an agreement with creditors including Elliott Management Corp. and Monarch Alternative Capital, which will give the company some $575 million in new capital.

>> On DaytonDailyNews.com: Jewelry store company expects to close 200 stores

Claire’s isn’t the only retailer to file bankruptcy recentlyToys ‘R’ Us also filed for bankruptcy and plans to liquidate all of its stores in the U.S. Toys ‘R’ Us Inc. voluntarily filed for relief under Chapter 11 in September 2017. The retailer was $5 billion in debt as of April 29. At the time of bankruptcy, the company said it would close about one-fifth of its store locations. Closing sales are expected to conclude in April.

Johnsonville recalls 109K pounds of sausage after reports of plastic contamination

A recall has been issued for a popular brand of sausage due to consumer reports that plastic pieces were found in the product.

Johnsonville, LLC issued a recall Thursday for 109,603 pounds of its smoked pork sausage, according to the United States Department of Agriculture news release.

>> Read more trending news 

The fully-cooked Jalapeño Cheddar Smoked Sausage included in the recall was produced on Jan. 4, 2018, and bears an establishment number “EST. 34224” inside the USDA mark of inspection.

The recalled items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.

Johnsonville, LLC received three consumer complaints that pieces of hard, green plastic were found in the sausage product.

There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products, according to the USDA.

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. The products should be discarded or returned to the place of purchase.

Consumers with questions about the recall can call or text Johnsonville Consumer Relations at 1-888-556-2728. 

Startup offering to preserve brain with '100 percent fatal' procedure for $10,000

Need a way to hold on to your memories forever? One startup is offering a special, but fatal, procedure to help you keep your brain active.

>> Read more trending news

Researchers at Nectome, a medical company founded by MIT graduates, have discovered a way to maintain brain functionality after death with high-tech embalming, a process used to prevent a body from decay. 

“Our mission is to preserve your brain well enough to keep all its memories intact: from that great chapter of your favorite book to the feeling of cold winter air, baking an apple pie, or having dinner with your friends and family,” co-founders Robert McIntyre and Michael McCanna wrote on the business’ website.

 >> On AJC.com: If you don’t get enough sleep, your brain could start eating itself

They will target patients suffering from terminal illnesses. The individuals will be sedated, connected to heart and lung machines, and injected with the embalming chemicals while they are alive. 

The procedure is “100 percent fatal,” the founders warned, but the solution “can keep a body intact for hundreds of years, maybe thousands, as a statue of frozen glass.”

The analysts believe their investigations will help future scientists “recreate consciousness” and retrieve information from the brain’s molecular details. 

>> Related: A few glasses of wine a day can keep your brain ‘clean,’ study says

“You can think of what we do as a fancy form of embalming that preserves not just the outer details but the inner details,” McIntyre told MIT Technology Review.

“If the brain is dead, it’s like your computer is off, but that doesn’t mean the information isn’t there,” added Ken Hayworth, a neuroscientist and president of the Brain Preservation Foundation -- the organization that awarded McIntyre for his recent work on preserving the pig brain.

>> Related: Scientists worry brain-wasting 'zombie deer' disease could spread to humans

The surgery is not yet available to the public as they are still unsure if the memories will be found in the dead tissues. However, they are inviting prospective customers to join a wait list for a $10,000 deposit, which is fully refundable. So far, 25 people have signed up. 

“When a generation of people die, we lose all their collective wisdom. You can transmit knowledge to the next generation, but it’s harder to transmit wisdom, which is learned,” McIntyre said. “That was fine for a while, but we get more powerful every generation. The sheer immense potential of what we can do increases, but the wisdom does not.”

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >